During a Flood

For life-threatening flood emergencies, call 9-1-1.

For non-life-threatening flood emergencies (flooding of a home or building), contact:

  • Your city’s Public Works Department
  • Clean Water Services’ 24-hour emergency flood response at 503-681-3600
  • Washington County’s non-emergency number at 503-629-0111

For routine concerns (standing water, blocked storm drains) contact either your city’s Public Works Department or Clean Water Services at 503-547-8100.

Find your service provider:

If rising water occurs:

Visit a self-serve sand station located throughout Washington County. Please call ahead to confirm hours of operation and availability of sand and bags and bring your own shovel. Sand is for FLOOD PREVENTION USE ONLY.

If water is more than a few inches deep, please call your City’s Public Works Department or Clean Water Services at 503-547-8100. Never stand on a storm drain or try to remove it.

Move anything mobile that could be damaged by floodwaters (such as cars or trailers, which aren’t covered by flood insurance) to higher ground.

Living near water

Creeks, streams and rivers sometimes overflow their banks during storms and can flood yards or even buildings. Some houses were built in flood zones in Washington County before there were rules in place to limit building on floodplains. These homes have a higher risk of flooding. Homes built too close to creeks and rivers are also at risk of damage or loss due to erosion.

Since the 1990s, newly developed areas must provide a planted buffer between streams or wetlands and buildings. Ideally, using native plants that like to be near water.


Beavers are a keystone species—their presence is associated with natural beauty; new recreation opportunities; increased property values; and habitat for birds, fish and other wildlife. And there are challenges, too, living with our state animal in suburban and urban areas of Oregon.

Learn more: